In case you missed it, Nolan Thomas arrived on Friday, April 29 and it has been quite a week! As things settle down and we establish a routine (ha!) I’ll have more time to update, but for now, here are some things I’ve learned during my first week of motherhood.
– Baby farts are always funny, even at 3 in the morning – Nolan’s gas could be recorded and used for movie sound effects, they are that ridiculous sounding. There’s nothing like a good toot during a midnight changing to dispel our crankiness.
– Maternity jeans feel amazing when you’re not pregnant – The thought of going back to zippers and buttons makes me cringe. Why do we do this to ourselves when elastic waistbands exist??
– People like me need an app to effectively record dirty diapers, breast-feeding and pumping– I’m a little embarrassed to admit that one but it’s the truth. I downloaded Baby Connect for $4.99 (the most I’ve ever paid for an app) and now that I’ve used it for a week, I would have paid $50. I didn’t know I wanted to make bar graphs of Nolan’s bowel movements and wet diapers until I could! Seriously, it has been invaluable for timing breast-feeding and keeping track of pumping. I thought I could remember things like, “Ok, I started this feeding at 1:15.” I thought wrong. Thanks, Baby Connect!
– Before you try out for The Biggest Loser, have a baby and start breast-feeding – It’s burning up calories like nobody’s business and I’m still so physically traumatized from labor and delivery that my appetite is not back to normal yet.
– You have no idea what you’re in for until you’re in it – So far nothing has happened that people didn’t warn me about, but it’s different when you’re living it. The interrupted sleep, the non-stop feeding, the diapers, the panic, the love, the wonder, the awe – nothing that is a surprise, yet I still feel like I’m being dangled upside down and told to go about my business as usual. It’s hard work, but it’s great.
And now on to a few pictures!!
Snuggled in his bassinet
Passed out after eating
Making a cute face
Me and Nolan 🙂